Tuesday, September 20, 2011

And We're Back!

I just wanted to show you some things we do everyday.
We read EVERYDAY:)
Today is our "shared reading" activity. During shared reading, I focus on developing each child's concepts of print. (what the cover of a book is, what the title is, print tells the story, moving left to right/top to bottom, beginning/middle/end of a story, sequence of words is a sentence, sequence of letters is a word, etc.) Our book this week is "Time for School"
We play games EVERYDAY!
I love using fun games to teach important concepts. In this picture we are playing the game, Turn Around and Close Your Eyes, ask your child how they play it - they love it! This game's focus is name and letter recognition. It also helps us get to know each other better - oh, and did I mention it is fun (look at those excited smiles)?
We sing EVERYDAY!
My favorite form of transition between activities is singing songs. Children this age have short attention spans (I know that's not new to you!) so it's important to break up activities to keep their attention on important concepts. And boy do these kids love singing! This was their favorite song of the day, "Tooty Ta". Ask them about it! It involves thumbs up, tongues out, and eyes shut - it has to be fun!
So, now you know three questions you can ask to find out more about their day!
I sent them home with their very own homework folders - make sure to check inside. Have fun with the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom trees - if you need ideas on how to use them, see my last post!

No comments:

Post a Comment